Todays blog focusses on what men really need from women. I start in mid-chapter, and as such in mid thought. So for the first bit, Im talking about the dangers of victimhood, which is true for both men and women, but then I get into some details about what men really need from women:
Weakness isnt attractive in either sex. Some girls think being weak will attract a strong man, but it wont. Being weak will attract a predator, which is why girls who show self-pity often get hurt in the end. Bad guys smell it out and take advantage of them. The girl thinks hes strong because hes bad, because hes confident and mysterious, but really hes insecure and is only using her to make himself feel like a man. Its a cycle, though, because once a girl gets used, it gives her something to feel sorry for herself about, and she just starts all over, attracting predators.
This sounds very unfair, I know. It sounds unfair because IT IS unfair. A sad reality in our world is those who are hurting are often the same people who are taken advantage of. Our response, without question, should be to defend people who are hurting and protect them, but also to guide them into healing so they can be strong and not get taken advantage of again. If a woman gets hurt, its important to get counseling and help before putting herself out there. There are countless exceptions to this, but I still believe its true that when somebody is weak, they need to find people they can trust who can help them gain strength. Girls who grew up without fathers are often hurting and looking for strength and affirmation from men, and its important they get that from a community or from men who are safe.
Now I am going to say this directly and perhaps offensively, but I want to say it straight: If a girl wants a great guy, she has to stop feeling sorry for herself. She has to do something different to attract somebody different. If you are strong and choosy, if you have a vision for your life, he will sense in you somebody to partner with so the two of you can help others (or raise a family.) Thats what a good guy is looking for. Im not saying you cant cry on his shoulder every once in a while-guys love being strong for a woman-Im just saying if you have the characteristics of a wounded animal, you are going to attract somebody who eats wounded animals.
The sad truth is there are millions of legitimate victims out there, but each one of us needs to access the many resources given us to gain back our strength.
Its important to note that a strong, confident woman is what a guy needs, but its not always what a guy wants. Guys who are weak themselves may feel secure with a weak woman, but girls, this is not the guy for you. Strength attracts strength. Feminine strength is incredibly attractive.
Guys are also attracted to beauty. But that doesnt mean you have to look like a supermodel. In the vision I have for my wife, she doesnt look like a model at all. Shes going to be the mother of my children for heavens sake. So a girl throwing her boobs all over the place may get my attention, but shes not getting a ring. At least not from me. Beauty is important, but its true there are many ways to be beautiful. I know good-looking girls get more attention, but what that girl most likely wants is to have a conversation and instead she gets guys falling all over her, so her life isnt perfect either.
A guy who has a serious vision for his life and family is looking for a partner, an advisor, somebody who can work with him to do remarkable things. A bimbo isnt going to help. And if he wants a bimbo, he doesnt have a very good vision for his life anyway. Self-assurance is beautiful. A choosy girl is beautiful. A woman who does not manipulate with her appearance is beautiful. A girl who is respectful of other people is beautiful. Intelligence is beautiful. A woman who has deep faith is beautiful. God knows there are plenty of books out there for girls on how to attract guys. Id be careful and read the ones from dignified, older authors, because there are all kinds of tricks women use to attract men that just leave them more and more lonely.
Here is the last bit of advice: We are not going to get the love we really need from each other. We are going to get it from God, in heaven. Until then, we have an awesome opportunity to practice committed love with each other. We get to be faithful to each other, we get to try to love unconditionally (at which point we will understand how amazing God is) we get to serve each other by being more attractive to our mates, we get to take care of each other, we get to bring children into the world and take care of them, we get to share our lives with a family, and we get to have a heck of a lot of fun together. And as such we get to improve our character. Those are some of the reasons we should be looking for a mate.
What does a man need from a woman? (This is not in the book, but I wanted to summarize some more practical thoughts for this blog.)
- A woman who believes she is beautiful and cultivates that beauty, in many ways. Hell be drawn to that beauty and confidence. Now much of this comes from understanding how much you are loved by God and so have infinite intrinsic value. So pursuing a true answer to that question is important. The other part comes from this whole, beautiful, educational playground God gives us. He has given you ways to cultivate beauty, and He wants to go with you on that journey. Is it memorizing poetry, learning a language, playing a sport, starting your own baking class on the internet, or doing aid work somewhere in the world? Go for it and have a blast. We think God is going to suddenly make us feel strong or beautiful or confident, but Hes not, Hes going to go with you into an awesome story where character development happens along the way. Tell God you want to live through an awesome story that brings you to an understanding about your intrinsic beauty.
- A woman who is choosy. A woman who knows she is beautiful waits for a good match. This doesnt mean you should play hard to get. Games are just confusing. What it means is that you should respond kindly to guys who have done the work you are worthy of partnering with.
- A woman with a vision for her life. If she wants a family, shes looking for good dad potential and good husband potential. If she wants to become President, shes looking for good first man potential. Know what you want and look for that in a guy. And dont lie to yourself. If you want to be a mother and have a family, dont pretend youre not interested in that because you are afraid a man will get scared off. Having a family is an awesome vision, and if he doesnt want that, you arent compatible.
- Show some respect. Emerson Eggerichs rightly tells us men are attracted to respect and women to love. We both want love and respect, but its true men strongly respond to respect. Respect makes a man feel great. Men like women who dont constantly criticize, reminding him of his failures or whats wrong with him (thats true for all of us, for sure, but it drives men nuts). If you are dating somebody you dont respect, either find something to respect about him, or leave, but dont cut him down on the way out. And dont cut down other men, either. Just show respect, and guys will start wondering what it is about you that is so great.
Guys feel free to chime in. What do you need in a woman?
* These are, of course, opinions, and so many people will disagree.
**Excepting political opinions, sharing opinions about what men and women should do creates the most tense of dialogues. The truth is, I dont know you, and weve never met, so I promise this isnt personal. I hope that youll understand this advice is intended to help girls who are being hurt by guys, and to help us all understand what it means to have and cultivate intrinsic beauty.
[This is a re-post from Don Miller’s blog. Read the original article here.]
Question: What does your ideal man look like, men?
(Read more at everythingispermissible.wordpress.com and everythingispermissible.com)